Zippy Barbecue Sauce
This is a well-balanced barbecue sauce for UnRibs, tofu, tempeh, or anything else where you want to capture that Fourth of July flavor. It's got just the right amount of sweetness balanced by acidity, heat, and spice. If you prefer your sauce on the sweeter side, feel free to increase the sweetener.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, savory, sweet
Type of DishCondiments, sauces
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or organic sugar,?or 3/4 cup coconut sugar, or more as desired
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar?
- 2 tablespoons molasses?
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned), minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder?
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin?
- 1 cup water
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together well or mix in a blender or food processor. Store this in a jar in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 months.
2015 Miyoko Schinner