Winter Radicchio Slaw
Here’s a slaw made for winter, with Italian radicchio, fresh fennel endive, and tart sweet apple, all tossed with a light, ginger-enhanced vinaigrette. This is not a salad that can be made hours ahead of time, though. You can, however, prepare the vinaigrette and cut all the vegetables and toss them together just before serving. This slaw goes really well with the Simplest Pork Roast or any roasted poultry. It’s delicious piled onto a leftover sandwich.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrunchy, fruity, light, savory, sweet
Type of Dishsalad
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads radicchio (about pound total), cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb (about 8 ounces), cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 heads endive (8 ounces total), cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 red or green tart apple, such as Granny Smith or Macoun, cut into ¼-inch sticks
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (green and white parts)
Make the vinaigrette: Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, and ginger together in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking, and whisk until emulsified. Season to taste as needed, and set aside.
Place the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the vegetables, and stir to coat. Serve immediately.
Read NextFontina and Asparagus Soup
2009 Jonathan Kind, Jim Stott, and Kathy Gunst