Wild Rice with Pine Nuts
French Food, American Accent
Published by Clarkson Potter
Wild rice has a nut-like flavor; the sautéed pine nuts emphasize this and add a bit more crunch. The combination is delicious with any chicken or duck dish. Wild rice is not really rice, but is a member of the grass family. It takes a little longer to cook than regular rice, but be careful not to overcook, or you will have a mushy dish.
NotesOrder of preparation
• Cook the wild rice.
• While the rice is cooking, sauté the pine nuts and the leeks and scallions.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturechewy, crunchy, nutty
- ½ cup wild rice
- 2½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or walnut oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup finely diced leeks, white part only
- ¼ cup finely diced scallions, white part only
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Chicken Stock, Vegetable Stock, low-salt canned broth, or water (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Salmon with Red Wine Salmon Sauce, instead of lentils
- Seared and Roasted Chicken or Duck Breasts
- Simple Roasted Chicken or Roasted Duck
Place the rice, water, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain.
In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter (or heat the oil until shimmering) and sauté the pine nuts 1 minute. Add the leeks and scallions and sauté 1 minute, until softened slightly. Add the rice and heat through. Add stock, if needed, to moisten. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
1996 Debra Ponzek and Joan Schwartz
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
VictoriaGardener 6 282488
Jan 06, 2011
This was delicious! My husband, who had never eaten wild rice before also really liked it.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.