Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Here’s my recipe for some really good, fluffy whipped sweet potatoes. Easily prepared ahead for reheating at serving time, think of this delicious accompaniment often throughout the fall and winter, not just for Thanksgiving dinner.
Serves6 to 8
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseside dish, starch, vegetable
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, peanut free, soy free
Taste and Texturecreamy, savory, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishvegetable
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 carrots (about 1 pound) peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
Place the sweet potatoes, carrots, and bouillon cubes in a large heavy pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, and place in a bowl.
Using a mixer, whip the vegetables with the reserved cooking liquid and the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately, or reheat in a double boiler or, covered, in a 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
1997 Sheila Lukins