Published by Chronicle
This is a good stock to have on hand if there are vegetarians in your family.
NotesTo store the stock, let cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Taste and Texturesavory
Type of Dishstock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek (white and green parts), roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 10 or so pieces
- 1 medium turnip, quartered
- 1 celery rib, cut into thirds
- 1 medium potato, peeled and quartered
- 10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 12 peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8½ cups water
In a stockpot, Dutch oven, or another large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, leek, and carrots until they begin to brown and release their juices, about 5 minutes.
Add the turnip, celery, potato, parsley, peppercorns, salt, and water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Strain and reserve the stock, discarding the solids.
2006 Jeff Koehler