Ultimate Mashed Potatoes
Mash with a twist.
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 mins
Cooking Time45 min
Cooking Time - Text45
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, Formal Dinner Party
Recipe Courseside dish
Taste and Texturecheesy, rich, savory, sharp
- 3 lb (1.35kg) baking potatoes, such as Burbank, peeled and cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup (4oz/115g) shredded Cheddar
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add a little salt. Cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook at a brisk simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until tender.
Drain well. Return to low heat and stir for a minute or two to evaporate excess liquid.
Add the cream, milk, and butter and mash. Add the Cheddar, scallions, parsley, chives, and horseradish and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
2008 Dorling Kindersley