Trout with Fresh Tomato Herb Sauce
Here’s a summery no-fuss cooking technique for trout or salmon or any of your favorite fish, including red snapper or tilapia. Serve with new baby potatoes and green beans.
NotesUse extra virgin olive oil and vine-ripened tomatoes for maximum flavor.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, healthy, kosher, low carb, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Equipmentbaking/gratin dish, microwave
Taste and Textureherby, savory, tangy
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil or chives
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 trout fillets (each 5 oz/150 g)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) white wine or chicken stock
- 10-cup (2.5 L) shallow rectangular baking dish or 11-by-7-inch (2 L) baking dish
In a bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, parsley, vinegar and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Place trout in baking dish. Season fillets with salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and wine.
Cover with plastic wrap and turn back one corner to vent. Microwave on Medium (50%) for 3 ½ to 5 minutes or until fish is opaque. Let stand, covered, for 2 minutes. To serve, arrange fish on serving plates and top with a spoonful of the tomato sauce.
2004 Johanna Burkhard