These can be a light meal or an appetizer. They are quick to make and are a wonderful way to use what you have on hand. They are most healthful when made with com tortillas but can be made with wheat- or white-flour tortillas, if desired. Allow one or two tortillas per person.
3 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, game day
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecheesy, savory
Type of Dishpizza
- 6 corn tortillas, any kind
- 1 cup grated Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella cheese (or nonfat or goat cheese)
- Cooked pinto or black beans, drained or refried
- Cooked chopped beef, chicken, turkey, or pork or fried crumbled chorizo (Mexican sausage)
- Cooked crab or shrimp
- Small avocado, peeled and slivered
- Salsa of your choice or chopped tomato and onion
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and bake them for 6 to 8 minutes, until crisp. Divide the cheese among the tortillas.
Add your choice of toppings and place back in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve hot with additional salsa.
1998 Jane Butel