Here’s an all-tofu mayonnaise, but your family may never suspect, especially if you add a tablespoon or more of prepared mayonnaise—a good idea if you’re nervous about it. This will keep, refrigerated, for up to five days.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationgluten-free, healthy, peanut free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecreamy, tangy
Type of Dishsauces
- 6 ounces soft tofu, well drained, or ½ box silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons prepared mayonnaise (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice or vinegar (red or white wine)
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Put the tofu in a food processor with the mayonnaise, if using, and oil. Puree until smooth. Scrape down the sides.
Add the garlic, mustard, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt, and puree until smooth. Taste for salt and season with a little pepper. Scrape into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
2000 Deborah Madison