The Best Rice Pudding
This can be habit-forming.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationgluten-free, halal, high-calcium, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecreamy, rich, savory, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishpudding
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup short or medium grain white rice
- ½ vanilla bean, split
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raisins or dried sour cherries
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1. Bring the water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add the rice, vanilla bean, and salt. Cook 10 minutes.
• 2. Add the milk and cook over very low heat until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
• 3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 1½-quart shallow baking dish.
• 4. In a small bowl, combine the cream, sugar, and eggs, then fold into the rice mixture. Remove the vanilla bean and pour the rice mixture into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
• 5. Place the baking dish into a larger baking pan in the oven. Pour boiling water into the larger baking pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until the pudding is firm and the top surface is golden brown. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate, covered, to serve chilled.
1991 Bonnie Tandy Leblang and Joanne Lamb Hayes
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.