Thai Cucumber Relish
This is a simple relish, traditionally served with satays and fried foods.
Serves6 as relish
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, low cholesterol, low saturated fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, savory, spiced, sweet, tangy
Type of DishCondiments
- 1 ½ (7 ml) tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp (2 ml) black peppercorns
- 8 cloves
- 2 cups (500 ml) diced seeded cucumbers
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) diced red or sweet white onions
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) diced carrots
- 3 to 6 bird-eye chilies, cut in half lengthwise or 1 tbsp (15 ml) roughly chopped finger chilies
- 1 cup less 1 tbsp (225 ml) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lime or lemon juice
- Coriander leaves for garnish
In a dry frying pan over medium heat, toast separately the coriander seeds, peppercorns and cloves until fragrant; set aside. In a bowl, stir together cucumbers, onions, carrots and chilies; set aside.
In a saucepan, combine toasted spices, 1/3 cup (75 ml) water, sugar, vinegar, fish sauce and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes. Pour through a sieve over cucumber mixture. Stir in lime juice; let stand at room temperature at least 2 hours. The relish will keep a few days in the refrigerator. Serve garnished with coriander.
1997 Andrew Chase