Tapenade (Olive Paste)
NotesFor a Mediterranean Sandwich:
Spread two slices of crusty bread with tapenade. Layer one slice with arugula leaves, sliced mozzerella, and thinly sliced red onion.
Close, cut in half, and serve.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, low carb, low cholesterol, low saturated fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturesalty, savory
Type of DishCondiments, dip/spread
- 2 cups pitted Greek or Moroccan oil-cured olives
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely cracked black peppercorns
Place all the ingredients in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the tapenade is grainy but not smooth. Place the mixture in a container, cover, and refrigerate. (If kept covered and refrigerated the tapenade should keep for up to 8 weeks, covered and refrigerated.)
Serve with cold vegetables, hard-boiled eggs, or as a sandwich enhancer.
1997 Christopher Idone