Tagine of Squash and Chickpeas with Mushrooms
I love the unusual combination of flavorings in this dish. The tastes of the cinnamon and ginger really come through, and the bittersweet mixture of lemon and honey, with a sprinkling of currants, adds a perfect finish. Serve this over whole-grain couscous to complement the Middle Eastern flavors. Add a spinach or Swiss chard to complete the meal.
Works in slow cookers from 3½ to 6 quarts.
I prefer a strong gingery flavor in this dish. If you’re ginger-averse, reduce the amount.
If you prefer, you can use 1 cup (250 ml) dried chickpeas, soaked, cooked and drained (see Basic Beans), instead of the canned chickpeas.
Cooking Methodslow cooking
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, high fiber, lactose-free, low cholesterol, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturefruity, garlicky, savory, spiced
Type of Dishvegetable
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup/250 ml)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick cinnamon, about 2 inches (5 cm) long
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) minced ginger root
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground turmeric
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cracked black peppercorns
- 8 oz (250 g) cremini mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) cubed butternut squash or pumpkin (1-inch/2.5 cm cubes)
- 2 cups (500 ml) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) liquid honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup (50 ml) currants (optional)
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring, until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon stick, ginger, turmeric, salt and peppercorns; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and toss to coat. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
Stir in squash and chickpeas. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until vegetables are tender. Discard cinnamon stick.
3. In a small bowl, combine honey and lemon juice. Add to slow cooker and stir well. When serving, sprinkle with currants (if using).
Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, continue with the recipe.
2008 Judith Finlayson