Sweet-Potato and Leek Soup with Sage and Smoked Turkey
6 to 8 servings
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebubbly, creamy, light, savory, sweet
Type of Dishhot soup
- ¼ pound butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white parts only)
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 quarts Light Chicken Stock or canned chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 3 tablespoons coarse or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound smoked turkey, preferably breast of turkey, diced
Heat butter in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add leeks, sweet potatoes, and celery and sauté over low heat until leeks are wilted and lightly golden.
Add Light Chicken Stock or broth, sage, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.
Purée soup in a food processor. Depending on the size of your processor, you may have to do this in 2 or more steps.
Return soup to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and correct seasoning. Add butter and whisk until it is completely blended into soup. Add diced turkey.
Pour soup into a tureen or ladle into individual soup bowls.
1994 David Burke and Carmel Berman Reingold