Sweet and Sour Stir-Fried Vegetables
This recipe is served at the Jamjuree Thai Kitchen in Yangon, the capital of Myanmar (formerly Burma). The restaurant sits facing a huge pagoda shimmering with gold and holding relics of Buddha. Now that the country’s borders are open, people from all over come to visit this holy site. At the restaurant they order vegetarian dishes like the one described here. Prepared with cucumbers and pineapple, it has a delightful, light sweet-and -sour flavor. The secret to effortless Thai cooking is advance preparation-having all the vegetables chopped, cut, or cubed ahead of time. Family meals are made with an easy stir-fry, rice, salad, and fruit.
NotesMind Refresher: Before preparing the vegetables, arrange them in front of you. Stand straight, breathe normally, and watch the moment’s breath for 30 seconds.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course, side dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, healthy, kosher, lactose-free, low carb, peanut free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturefruity, herby, savory, spiced, sweet, tangy, tart, umami
Type of Dishvegetable
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil (3 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 7 ounces (200 g) extra-firm tofu (half a 14-ounce or 400-g package), towel dried and cut into ¾-inch (2-cm) pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled, halved, and sliced into ¼-inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (8 ounces or 250 g) sliced pineapple in juice, drained and cut into ½-inch (1.2-cm) pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into ½-inch (1.2-cm) wedges (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons Thai chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Stir in garlic and heat 30 seconds or until fragrant, not burned.
Stir in tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, until golden brown; remove tofu from skillet and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
Stir in cucumbers and pineapple; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, salt, sugar, chili sauce, and soy sauce, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
Stir in water and tofu, heat a few minutes more.
Stir in cilantro leaves and serve with rice.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
2008 Sharon Louise Crayton