These meatless burgers are delicious when served on a bagel or hamburger bun. Add to your bagel: lots of vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, herby, savory
- 1½ cups (375 mL) cooked rice, brown or white
- 19-oz (540 mL) can romano beans, drained (or other beans, such as pinto or kidney)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- ¼ tsp (l mL) dried basil
- ¼ tsp (l mL) pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) of dried dillweed
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) loosely packed, shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Cook rice or use cold rice from the night before.
In a large bowl, put drained beans and mash them with a fork or a masher.
Add all the other ingredients. Mix with a large spoon or fork, or use your hands.
Form mixture into patties. Cook until nicely browned in a nonstick frying pan or heavy frying pan (lightly greased).
Add a shake of dried dill to the mayonnaise you spread on your burger.
2008 Durand & Graham, LTD