Stir-Fried Eggs with Mushrooms and Zucchini
Make this for brunch, along with cheese grits or polenta, or serve it for supper with jasmine rice and a platter of roasted vegetables tossed with extra virgin olive oil and chopped fresh dill.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursemain course, side dish
Dietary Considerationkosher, lactose-free, peanut free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Mealbreakfast, brunch, dinner, lunch
Taste and Textureherby, light, savory
Type of Dishvegetable
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp soy sauce 10 mL
- 1 tsp Asian sesame oil 5 mL
- ½ tsp salt or to taste 2 mL
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper 2 mL
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 25 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped onion 25 mL
- 2 tsp chopped garlic 10 mL
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (1 cup/250 mL) 250 g
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 3 cups) 2
- ½ cup red bell pepper strips 125 mL
- 3 tbsp chopped green onions 45 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill 25 mL
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat a wok or a large deep skillet over high heat. Add vegetable oil and swirl to coat pan. Add onion and garlic and toss well, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
Add mushrooms and toss well. Spread into a single layer and cook, undisturbed, for 30 seconds. Toss well. Cook, undisturbed, until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute.
Add zucchini and red pepper and toss well. Cook, tossing often, until mushrooms are tender and zucchini and pepper are tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Push vegetables aside. Stir in egg mixture and swirl gently to spread around pan. Cook, undisturbed, for 30 seconds. Gently but quickly stir and scoop to scramble eggs until almost done, about 1 minute. Mix vegetables into eggs as you scramble them, tossing more quickly when they are almost done. When eggs are just cooked, but not dry, remove from heat. Add green onions and dill and toss well. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve hot or warm.
2007 Nancie McDermott