Steamed Ginger Pudding
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionFormal Dinner Party
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebuttery, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishpudding
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter, for the mold
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup heavy cream, lightly whipped
- 4 pieces crystallized ginger, cut into fine julienne
- 2-quart steamed pudding mold with cover or 2-quart pudding basin and electric mixer
Use the 2 tablespoons butter to coat the pudding mold and its cover, set aside. Put a kettle of water on to boil. Meanwhile, sift together the dry ingredients, reserve.
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Add 2 of the eggs and blend thoroughly. Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and blend. Add the remaining 2 eggs and mix well. Add the remaining dry ingredients and blend. Stir in the molasses and mix thoroughly. Turn the batter into the prepared mold, and tap on a hard surface to settle the batter. Cover the mold tightly with the buttered cover.
Place the mold in a large pot. Fill the pot with boiling water to reach two-thirds of the way up to the sides of the mold. Cover the pot and steam over moderate heat for 1 3/4 hours, adding additional boiling water after 30 to 45 minutes, if necessary.
Unmold and let cool.
Coat the top of the pudding with some of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Serve with the remaining whipped cream.
Read NextDonatella’s Angry Chicken