Split Pea and Smoked Turkey Soup
The smoked turkey acts like a ham hock, bringing a salty, smoky, meaty flavor to the soup.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursehot appetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationhealthy, low-fat
Taste and Texturemeaty, savory, smoky
Type of Dishhot soup
- 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (preferably with leaves)
- 8 cups reduced-sodium, defatted chicken broth
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- ¼ pound smoked turkey breast, cut into small cubes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1) Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot and add the onions, garlic, and celery. Cook until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Keep the pot covered between stirrings.
2) Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1¼ hours.
1997 Terry Blonder Golson