Spinach Salad with Hard-Boiled Egg, Cumin, and Garlic
Raw spinach salads are one my personal favorites. I always recommend organic spinach because spinach happens to be one of the vegetables that pesticides cling to easily. Even repeated washing won’t dispel them.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, side dish
Dietary Considerationgluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturesalty, spiced, tangy
Type of Dishfirst course salad, salad
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ pound spinach or escarole, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 12 salt-cured Moroccan or Thassos olives
Combine the tomatoes; cumin, garlic, cayenne, paprika, half the olive oil, and the vinegar in a small bowl and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
In a salad bowl, toss the greens with the remaining olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Season the tomato mixture lightly with salt and pepper. Toss with the greens.
Place the eggs and olives decoratively over the top of the salad and serve.
2005 Diane Kochilas