Snappy Snow Peas
Stir these flavorful snow peas up any time you want to complement a dish that needs additional color or texture-snow peas have an abundance of both.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, low carb, low cholesterol, low-fat, peanut free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, hot & spicy, light, savory, spiced, umami
Type of Dishvegetable
- 4 green onions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh snow peas, ends and strings removed
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and very finely minced
- ¼ to ½ green bell pepper, cut lengthwise in slivers
- ¼ to ½ red bell pepper, cut lengthwise in slivers
- ¼ to ½ yellow bell pepper, cut lengthwise in slivers
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground pure New Mexico hot red chile, or to taste
Sliver green onions Japanese-style—trim roots and any wilted tops from onions, and then cut each in 2-inch lengths. Cut onion pieces lengthwise in thin slivers. Set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or large, shallow skillet. Add snow peas, green onions, ginger, and bell peppers. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes, sprinkle with soy sauce, and continue to cook until hot and just barely render-crisp. Sprinkle with ground chile, stir to mix, and serve hot.
1987, 2005 Jane Butel