Scrambled Tofu with Herbs and Cheese
Serves3 to 4
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, peanut free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, light
- 1 carton soft tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric or curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon, basil, or marjoram
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives or finely sliced scallions
- ½ cup grated Cheddar, Muenster, goat, or feta cheese
Drain the tofu, wrap it in a towel, and press while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
Heat the oil and butter in a medium skillet. When hot, crumble the tofu into the pan in pieces about the size of scrambled-egg curds. Sprinkle with the turmeric, season with ½ teaspoon salt, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until dry and firm (but not hard), for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the herbs and cheese, taste and season with salt, then season with pepper. Serve with a dash of paprika over the top.
2000 Deborah Madison