Roast Goose with Chestnut and Fruit Stuffing
This is good with an endive salad made with sliced oranges and onions and tossed with a vinaigrette sauce.
Total Timea day or more
OccasionFormal Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free
Taste and Texturefruity, savory
- 1 goose, 9 to 12 pounds
- 24 to 30 prunes which have been brought to the boil and marinated 1 week in
- sherry or port to cover
- 6 cooking apples, peeled, cut into sixths, and rolled in sugar and lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cups whole shelled and skinned chestnuts (canned chestnuts in brine are excellent for this)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Prepare the goose for roasting. Roll the marinated prunes in the grated lemon rind, the apples in sugar and lemon juice, and the chestnuts in the grated orange rind. Stuff the bird with alternate layers of these three ingredients. Close the cavity with several thicknesses of foil or sew it up. Rub the goose with salt and pepper and prick the skin, place on a rack in a roasting pan, cover with foil, and roast at 375 degrees about 2¼ hours. Remove the foil, prick the skin of the goose very well, and return to the oven for 15 to 25 minutes or until the skin is crisped.
Remove to a hot platter and serve surrounded by baked or candied sweet potatoes.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
1972 James A. Beard