Rice and Peas
This dish is a staple throughout the Caribbean. Pigeon peas can be found in the Latino section of the market. Good with grilled or roasted meat and poultry, and fried fish, as a substantial side dish.
Prepare ahead: The dish can be prepared 1 day in advance, cooled, covered with foil, and refrigerated. Bake, covered, in a 350°F (180°C) oven until heated through.
Preparation Time10 min
Preparation Time - Text10 mins
Cooking Time45 min
Cooking Time - Text45
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturesavory
- 15 oz (420g) can pigeon peas (gandules) drained and rinsed
- One 15 fl oz (420ml) can coconut milk
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup basmati or long grain rice
- Cayenne pepper, for garnish
Bring the peas, coconut milk, onion, and green pepper to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in the rice. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and serve hot.
2. Stir in the rice. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and serve hot.
2008 Dorling Kindersley