Red Beet Borscht
Because Central Asia is so cold, the people rely on culinary staples that are substantial and warm. The vodka helps, but a hearty root-vegetable soup like borscht gives the body a nourishing zip. First the beets are cooked whole to make a broth. Then other vegetables are added and all are cooked to make a colorful, richly flavored soup that gets even better the next day. To make cleanup easy, chop and clean the vegetables on a newspaper; to make the job faster, chop them in a food processor.
NotesMind Refresher: Stand straight, breathe normally, and concentrate on your in-and-out breaths for 30 seconds. As your thoughts run here and there, keep coming back to your breath.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, high fiber, kosher, low cholesterol, low-fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturegarlicky, herby, savory, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishhot soup, soup
- 3 medium beets (500 g) whole, leaves and stems discarded
- 10 cups (2½ L) water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3 medium Yukon gold or white potatoes (12 ounces or 350 g), peeled and grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated (about 1½ cups)
- ¼ medium-head green cabbage, finely shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sour cream or crème fraîche
Put whole beets and water into a large pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
Stir in tomato and cook a few more minutes.
Add onion and tomato mix, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to soup pot, cover, and cook over low heat 1 hour.
Remove cooked beets with a fork and rinse under cold water to cool. Peel and grate.
Stir grated beets, dill, and parsley into soup; continue cooking 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Serve garnished with sour cream or crème fraîche.
2008 Sharon Louise Crayton
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
margaretbinsc 0743 835
Oct 11, 2012
Sounds wonderfully healthy...and flavorful. I'm wondering if this could freeze without altering the texture.??
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.