Red Beans and Rice Salad
The spicy flavors of this salad will seem to rumba through your mouth. If you want to slow down the dance, just lessen the heat by reducing the amount of Tabasco, black pepper, and cayenne.
NotesNote: To rewarm leftover rice, sprinkle each cup of rice with 1 tablespoon water, cover, and microwave on full power (100 percent) for 1 minute.Vegetarian variation: Omit ham and sausage.
4 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, game day
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Type of Dishsalad
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (ground red) pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup finely diced ham
- ½ cup minced scallions (about 3 medium)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- ½ cup diced cooked andouille or other sausage (optional)
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice, still warm (see note)
- 2 cups cooked red or small kidney beans, still warm, drained
To prepare the salad dressing, in a large bowl mix the oil, vinegar, Tabasco, black pepper, cayenne, and salt. Mix in the ham, scallions, celery, and andouille, if using, and allow to stand about 10 minutes.
Toss in the rice and beans. Taste and adjust seasoning.
1994 Bonnie Tandy Leblang