This popular Mediterranean dish is delicious hot or cold. Good with a bowl of grated cheese for sprinkling, over hot ratatouille, or a bottle of fruity olive oil for drizzling over cold ratatouille.
Preparation Time15 min
Preparation Time - Text15 mins
Cooking Time40 min
Cooking Time - Text40
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Taste and Texturesavory
Type of Dishvegetable
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, about 8 oz (225g), cut into 1 in (2.5cm) cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into 1 in (2.5cm) pieces
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- One 14.5 oz (411g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp chopped oregano, plus sprigs for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large casserole over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and transparent. Stir in the zucchini, eggplant, red pepper, and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the stock, tomatoes with their juices, and the chopped oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover the pan. Simmer about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
Add salt and black pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately, garnished with oregano sprigs.
2008 Dorling Kindersley