Pumpkin Pecan Pie Bars
Pumpkin pie is a traditional fall dessert that graces most Thanksgiving tables. These bars are a twist on pumpkin pie with the added pecan topping. Just press the crust into a pie plate and follow the directions for the filling.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationgluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturenutty, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishcookie, dessert
- 1¼ cups (150 g) almond flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) hazelnut flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (27 g) extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil. melted
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1¾ cups (429 g) pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup (120 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons (11 g) pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup (60 g) almond flour
- ½ cup (55 g) pecan halves. chopped
- 1/3 cup (27 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1 Medjool date, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil. melted
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line an 8 x 8-inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish with parchment paper, making sure the paper goes up the sides.
To make the crust: In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, hazelnut flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Using a fork, stir together until a crust forms. Press the crust mixture into the prepared baking dish, forming an even layer across the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Allow the crust to cool completely.
To make the filling: In the bowl of food processer or high-speed blender, place the pumpkin puree, eggs, dates, coconut milk, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Process until smooth and the dates are broken up. Pour the filling into the cooled crust.
To make the topping: In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, pecans, coconut, maple syrup, date, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Mix well, then evenly sprinkle across the filling.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is set. Allow the bars to cool completely before removing from the pan, using the parchment paper overhang. Cut into sixteen 2-inch (5 cm) squares.
Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, Before enjoying, allow the bars to come to room temperature.
2013 Fair Winds Press