Published by William Morrow
Ripe Italian plums are one of my favorite fruits to bake with at the end of the summer, especially because they become sweeter and buttery when baked in these galettes. Mix in some nectarines or peaches with the plums for a stone-fruit extravaganza, perfect for a casual dinner party with a few friends.
Makes4 mini galettes or 1 large galette
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Cooking for a date
Dietary Considerationegg-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturebuttery, crisp, fruity, juicy, sweet, tangy
Type of Dishdessert, tart
- ½ cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup organic all purpose flour
- ½ cup organic cane sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ sticks organic unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh organic lemon juice
- 1 pound ripe farm-fresh organic Italian plums (15 to 17 plums), cut into quarters, pits removed
- 2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed organic dark brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Combine the flours, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds. With the machine on low speed, add the chilled butter, one piece at a time, until the dough resembles a coarse meal.
Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, pulsing on and off until the dough becomes wet and sticks together when you pinch it.
Remove the dough from the machine and shape it into either 4 disks or 1 large disk, both about ¼ inch thick. Wrap the disk(s) in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Place the disk(s) on the prepared baking sheet, and flatten slightly with a rolling pin.
Prepare the filling: Toss the plums in a bowl with the softened butter and the brown sugar. Spoon the filling onto the center of each disk, and spread it out evenly, leaving ¾ inch around the edges.
Fold over and pinch the edges to create a rim for the galette. Sprinkle sugar over the top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the galettes are dark brown and the plums are bubbling.
Let cool before serving.
2009 Sarah Magid