Pistachios are a great addition to cheesecakes — both in the filling and as decoration.
NotesUse fresh lime juice; bottled sometimes has a metallic taste.
Serves10 to 12
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, creamy, nutty, savory, sweet
Type of Dishcheesecake
- 1½ cups (375 mL) butter cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup (50 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 packages (each 8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb (500 g) ricotta cheese, drained (see tips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 1½ cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) pistachios, finely ground
- ½ cup (125 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
- Classic Whipped Cream Topping
- ¼ cup (50 mL) pistachios, ground
- 9-inch (23 cm) cheesecake pan, ungreased, or springform pan with 3-inch (7.5 cm) sides, greased
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
Crust: In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of cheesecake pan and freeze.
Filling: In a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, ricotta cheese, sour cream and sugar on medium-high speed until very smooth, for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in pistachios, flour, lime juice and vanilla.
Pour over frozen crust, smoothing out to sides of pan. Bake in preheated oven until top is light brown and center has a slight jiggle to it, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before decorating or serving.
Decoration: Ice top of cake with Classic Whipped Cream Topping or pipe rosettes around top of cake, if desired. Top with a dusting of ground pistachios.
Garnish each slice with Fresh Raspberry Sauce during the holidays for a green and red effect.
Use chocolate sandwich cookies instead of the butter cookies for the crust. It’s a delicious alternative.
Read NextGreen Tomato Pie
2008 George Geary