Pineapple Upside-Down Muffins
Top down is the way to go for these cinnamon-spiced muffins, loaded with carrots and raisins.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Mealbreakfast, brunch, snack, tea
Taste and Texturefruity, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishbread, muffins, quickbreads
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar divided, 60 mL
- 1 can (10 oz/287 mL) pineapple slices, drained
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour 175 mL
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour 175 mL
- ½ cup large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats 125 mL
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon 15 mL
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 mL
- ½ tsp baking soda 2 mL
- ½ tsp salt 2 mL
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar 125 mL
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil 60 mL
- 2 tbsp unsweetened orange juice 30 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1 can (8 oz/227 mL) crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup shredded carrots 250 mL
- ¾ cup raisins 175 mL
- 12-cup muffin pan, greased
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
Topping: Sprinkle 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar into each prepared muffin cup. Stack pineapple slices and cut into 3 wedges. Place 2 wedges in each muffin cup. Set aside.
Muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar and eggs until well blended. Whisk in oil, orange juice and vanilla until blended. Stir in crushed pineapple.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in carrots and raisins.
Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 23 minutes or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Immediately run a knife around edges of cups and turn muffins out onto a baking sheet. Reposition any stray pineapple pieces. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve upside down, either warm or at room temperature.
750 Best Muffin Recipes