NotesThe pesto can be stored in a tightly sealed jar, topped with a thin layer of extra-virgin olive oil, for several weeks in the refrigerator.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, garlicky, herby, savory
Type of Dishpasta sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Generous pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino romano
With the motor running, drop the the garlic into a food processor to chop it. Add the basil, pine nuts, and salt and pulse until the basil and nuts are coarsely chopped, then process until finely chopped.
With the motor running, drizzle in the oil.
Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the Parmigiano and pecorino.
2008 Mario Batali