Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Formal Dinner Party
Dietary Considerationpeanut free, soy free
Taste and Texturecrisp, nutty, sweet
Type of Dishpie
- 1/4 pound plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- About 1/4 cup ice water
- 5 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 cups pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped, for serving
- 9-inch pie pan
Crust: In a mixing bowl, cut the butter into the flour until it reaches the consistency of fine meal. Sprinkle on the sugar and add the egg yolks and ice water. Lightly blend together.
Form the dough into a ball, wrap in waxed paper, and chill for at least 20 minutes.
Filling: Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients except the pecans. Blend well.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and fit it into the pie pan. Evenly coat the pastry with the pecan pieces. Pour the filing mixture over the nuts.
Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving with the whipped cream.