Ooma’s Dill Bread
Taste and Textureherby, savory
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons dill seed
- 3 fresh dill flower sprigs, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Vegetable oil, for the bowl
- Kosher salt
1 1/2-quart ovenproof mold or loaf pan
In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and set aside until foamy.
In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese with the sugar, onion, salt, baking soda, butter, dill seed, dill flowers, and egg. Add the yeast and mix. Stir in the flour and knead to make a stiff dough.
Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set in a warm draft-free place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
Punch down the dough and place in a well-oiled baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F. Brush the top of the bread with water and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown.
Read NextFontina and Asparagus Soup