Okra With Tomatoes
Published by Knopf
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Dietary Considerationvegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturesavory, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishvegetable
- 1½ pounds fresh (or frozen) tender okra
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 medium-sized onions, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Wash the okra and trim it. (To trim the okra, cut off a small section at the tip. The stem end looks prettiest if trimmed in a conical shape.)
Heat the oil in a 10- to 12-inch skillet over a medium flame. Put in the garlic and onions. Stir and fry until onions turn translucent, turning the heat down if necessary.
Put in the okra. Stir and fry for another minute. Now put in all the remaining ingredients plus ½ cup water and bring to a simmer.
Cover, turn heat to low, and cook gently for 15 to 20 minutes or until okra is tender. (Larger pods will take a bit longer to cook through.)
Serve either hot or cold.
1981 Madhur Jaffrey