Norwegian-Style Bean Salad
North meets south in this classic Norwegian herring and potato dish, turned into a bean one. It’s quick to make and, although it sounds like an odd combination, it’s unusually delicious.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseappetizer, hors d'oeuvre
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Type of Dishdip/spread
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, still warm, drained
- 1 16-ounce jar herring bits in wine sauce, undrained
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced (about ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dillweed
- Freshly ground black or white pepper to taste
- Crackers or flatbread (optional)
Combine the black-eyed peas, herring, cucumber, dill, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve at room temperature with crisp crackers or flatbread, if desired.
Read NextSpicy Hash Browns & Scrambled Eggs
1994 Bonnie Tandy Leblang