Mocha Walnut Frosted Muffins
1500 Best Bars, Cookies, Muffins, Cakes and More
Published by Robert Rose
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursedessert, side dish, snack
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, low sodium, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Mealbreakfast, brunch, snack
Taste and Texturechewy, chocolatey, nutty, sweet
Type of Dishmuffins, quickbreads
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) cold strong brewed coffee
- ¾ cup (175 mL) chopped walnuts
- 3 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) confectioners sugar (icing sugar), divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) strong brewed coffee
- Muffin tin, greased or paper-lined
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a large bowl, cream butter thoroughly. Add sugar gradually, beating well.
In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee. Stir thoroughly until well blended. Add chopped walnuts. Fold in egg whites.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Prepare the frosting: In a bowl, cream together butter and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the confectioners' sugar. Add cocoa, the remaining confectioners' sugar and coffee. Beat until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled muffins.
2008 Esther Brody