Mocha Cardamom Shake
Published by W. W. Norton
I am head over heels for cardamom, with its intoxicating sweet-spicy aroma and delicate notes of lemon and pepper. Perhaps the most seductive of all the spices, cardamom provides a vaguely exotic and truly remarkable accent to coffee. A little bit of cardamom goes a long way, but do make sure your supply is fresh.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturechocolatey, creamy, frothy, rich, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishbeverage, shake
- ½ cup (about 4 ounces/125 milliliters) cold whole or lowfat milk
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 medium scoops (about 1 pint/12 ounces/340 grams) coffee ice cream , softened until just melty at the edges
- 4 medium scoops (about 1 pint/12 ounces/340 grams) chocolate sorbet , softened until just melty at the edges
Place the milk, espresso powder, and cardamom in a blender and blend to mix thoroughly, about 15 seconds. Add the ice cream and sorbet and pulse several times to begin breaking them up. With the blender motor off, use a flexible spatula to mash the mixture down onto the blender blades. Continue pulsing, stopping, and mashing until the mixture is well blended, thick, and moves easily in the blender jar, roughly 30 to 90 seconds. Pour into a chilled glass or glasses, and serve at once.
2009 Adam Ried