The salsa really perks up this meatloaf. You don’t need fresh salsa; a high-quality jarred brand will work just fine.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationhealthy, lactose-free, low-fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturegarlicky, meaty, savory, spiced
- 1¼ pounds lean ground turkey
- ½ pound 10% fat ground beef
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup salsa
1) Combine all the ingredients except the salsa. Using your hands, squeeze together almost as if kneading bread, until evenly mixed.
2) Divide into two portions. Place each in an 8 × 4-inch loaf pan. Up to this point, the meatloaves can be made up to 1 day ahead of time if wrapped tightly and stored in the refrigerator.
3) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Top the meatloaves with salsa. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
1997 Terry Blonder Golson