Mexican Green Chile Fondue
This rich but zingy cheese dip calls out for shrimp, crunchy vegetables, or apples. It is well suited for an informal backyard party or for sports fans gathered around the television. Offer a basket of spicy tortilla chips alongside for munching and dipping.
Makes4 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Recipe Coursehot appetizer
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, crunchy, hot & spicy, rich, savory, spiced
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- Dash of liquid hot pepper seasoning (optional)
- Cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Jicama sticks
- Red and gold bell pepper strips
- Zucchini slices and/or apple slices
- Tortilla chips for serving
In a fondue pot over medium heat, heat the milk until bubbles form. Toss the cheeses lightly with cornstarch until evenly coated. Gradually add the cheeses to the pot, a handful at a time, stirring each time until the cheeses are completely melted.
Stir in the coriander, cumin, chiles, and hot pepper seasoning, if using, and keep warm over low heat.
Serve with shrimp, vegetables, and apples for dipping. Pass a basket of tortilla chips.
2005 Lou Seibert Pappas