Masala Chickpea Burger
I cannot stand frozen veggie burgers from the store. They taste like cardboard. That’s precisely why my mom and I started experimenting one day in the kitchen. Making your own veggie burgers is easy and incredibly fun for the whole family. Freeze them and pull them out during the week for an easy meal. I guarantee you won’t go back to prepackaged burgers again.
12 (3-inch [7.5-cm] round) burgers
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturesavory, spiced
- 2 cups (328 g) cooked white chickpeas
- 2 cups (380 g) cooked brown rice (any kind)
- 1 cup (150 g) uncooked yam or sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, grated (you can also use zucchini)
- ½ cup (35 g) white cabbage, grated
- ½ small white onion, peeled and minced
- 1 (1 inch [2.5-cm)) piece ginger root, peeled and grated or minced
- ¾ cup (69 g) gram (chickpea) flour (besan)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder or cayenne
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup (4 g) minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons oil, plus more for pan frying
In a food processor, blend the chickpeas and rice until well combined.
Add the remaining ingredients and process again until smooth.
With your hands, form the mixture into small balls and flatten them into patties. If the dough is too sticky and soft, just add a little more gram flour. Set aside on a tray.
In a shallow frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and heat until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. I like to put a lid on the pan and cook for an additional minute on each side to make sure the patties and the gram flour are cooked through. Serve on a hamburger bun with all the fixings, or on a large lettuce leaf for a lighter meal.
2012 Anupy Singla
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.