Low Fat Bean Dip
Bean dips needn’t be laden with fat calories. This one’s not.
4 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, game day
Recipe Courseappetizer, snack
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Type of Dishdip/spread
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans, drained
- ½ small onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons bean cooking liquid or water
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers to taste, seeded and minced (see note)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Shredded Monterey Jack regular, light or jalapeno cheese (optional)
- Tortilla chips
In a small saucepan, mash the beans with the onion, liquid, jalapeno peppers, chili powder, salt, and cumin, then warm over low heat. Place into a ramekin or other bowl.
Serve at room temperature or slightly warmed. If desired, top with cheese and broil for 2 minutes, until the cheese melts, before serving with tortilla chips.
note: Be sure to wash your hands after handling jalapeno peppers.’ The pepper’s volatile oils could burn your skin or eyes.
1994 Bonnie Tandy Leblang