Northern Europeans first brought scouse (what was then called labskause) to England. Over the years its name shortened to scouse.
6 to 8 servings
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturemeaty, rich, savory
- 2 lb leg of lamb, cubed, fat removed
- 1lb stewing or braising steak, cubed, fat removed
- Olive oil
- 1 pint beef stock, plus extra hot water for topping up
- 3 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 lb mixture of carrots, parsnips and Swede, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 325 F.
Sear lamb and beef cubes quickly in an iron skillet, turning often over high heat, in a little oil. As meat begins to brown, add onions, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir often.
Pour into a casserole and add all other ingredients (except salt and pepper). Add enough hot water to just cover all ingredients. Cover with lid and cook in the center of the oven for approximately 4 hours. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
2016 Jon Ashton