Linzertorte Cookies with Raspberry Filling
Published by Robert Rose
NotesIf you can only find raspberry jam with seeds, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.
Makes2 dozen cookies
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturebuttery, crunchy, fruity, sweet
Type of Dishcookie, dessert
- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) confectioner’s (icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) unblanched almonds, finely ground
- ½ cup (125 ml) seedless raspberry jam (see Notes)
- Additional confectioner’s (icing) sugar
- Flat beater
- Baking sheets, lined with parchment paper
- 2½-inch (6 cm) round cookie cutter
- 1½-inch (4 cm) round cookie cutter
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
Place confectioner’s sugar and butter in the mixer bowl. Attach the flat beater and mixer bowl to the mixer. Set to speed 4 and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Reduce speed to stir and mix in flour mixture, in 3 additions. Mix in almonds. Divide dough in half and flatten each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, until firm.
Working with one disk at a time, on a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch (0.25 cm) thickness. Cut out rounds with the larger cutter, then cut the centers out of half of the rounds to make rings. Re-roll the scraps and cut out more rounds and rings. Using a metal spatula, transfer rounds and rings to separate prepared baking sheets, grouping rings together and rounds together for even baking, and placing them at least 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Refrigerate for 1 hour, until cold. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Bake in middle of preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely. Spread rounds with raspberry jam and top each with a ring. Sift confectioner’s sugar over cookies.
2008 Meredith Deeds and Carla Snyder