Indian Cauliflower with Black Mustard Seeds
This fragrant, Indian-inspired, side dish is simple and delicious. Try using orange cauliflower when making this recipe; it tastes the same as white and it looks beautiful with the black mustard seeds.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, spiced
Type of Dishvegetable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 head white or orange cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden. Add the cauliflower, coriander, turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the water and simmer until the cauliflower is tender and most of the water is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook for 2 minutes.
To serve, transfer the cauliflower to a serving platter, drizzle with the mustard seed mixture and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve hot.
2011 Betsy DiJulio