Herbed Compound Butter
Use as a sandwich spread, slathered on chops, steaks, chicken, fish, or shellfish, stirred into mashed potatoes, pasta, risotto, or polenta, or tossed with roasted, grilled, or steamed vegetables.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturebuttery, creamy, garlicky, herby
Type of Dishbutter sauce, dip/spread, sauces
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or chervil leaves
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper
In a medium-size bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat the butter until creamy. Add the herbs, garlic, and pepper and stir until smooth.
Spoon the butter onto a sheet of plastic wrap into a 4-inch-long log. Roll up the plastic, forming the butter into a cylinder. Twist the ends tightly to press the butter into a compact log. Refrigerate until chilled. Will keep refrigerated for about 1 week or frozen for 1 month.
2005 Grace Parisi