In 1993, my dear friend Bobby Collins got me hooked on guacamole; therefore, he is the inspiration for this recipe. As the title boasts, this guacamole is indeed perfect: perfect in panini, perfect with tortilla chips, perfect with salads, and especially perfect when a frozen margarita is served alongside!
NotesFor easier guacamole, substitute ½ cup (125 ml) of your favorite salsa or fresh pico de gallo for the tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, red onion and cilantro.
I enjoy making and serving guacamole in a molcajete, the traditional Mexican version of a mortar and pestle.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionBuffet, Cocktail Party, Family Get-together, game day
Recipe Coursecold appetizer
Mealdinner, lunch, snack
Taste and Texturecreamy, herby, hot & spicy, savory, sharp
Type of Dishdip/spread
- 2 large avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sour cream, mayonnaise or ranch dressing
- 3 plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (50 ml) finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl, roughly mash avocados. Stir in sour cream. Gently fold in tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Read NextFontina and Asparagus Soup
2008 Tiffany Collins