Perfect for summer, these vegetables are easy to prepare and go well with any main dish.Good with barbecued or grilled steaks or chops.
Preparation Time20 min
Preparation Time - Text20 mins, plus marinating
Cooking Time4 min
Cooking Time - Text6
Cooking Methodbroiling, grilling
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, healthy, low carb, low cholesterol, low saturated fat, vegetarian
Taste and Texturesavory, smoky
Type of Dishvegetable
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large eggplant, sliced crosswise
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered lengthwise
- ½ cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large, nonmetallic dish
- Heat-resistant pastry brush
Prepare ahead: The vegetables can marinate in step 1 for several hours. Or cook them a day in advance and serve at room temperature.
Arrange the zucchini, red and yellow peppers, eggplant, and fennel, cut-sides up, in a large nonmetallic dish. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over the vegetables, and marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, light an outdoor grill or preheat the broiler. Oil the grill grate or the broiler pan.
Lift the vegetables out of the marinade, and place them on the grill or broiler rack. Cook for 3–5 minutes on each side, or until tender and lightly charred, brushing with the marinade. Serve warm or at room temperature, drizzled with remaining marinade and sprinkled with parsley.
2008 Dorling Kindersley