Grilled New Potato and Asparagus Salad
Depending on your preference, use either Aïoli for a strong garlic flavor or the Roasted Garlic Aïoli for a mellow nutty flavor. Watch the potatoes carefully so they don’t overbrown.
Serves4 to 6
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Courseappetizer, side dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, low cholesterol, low saturated fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturegarlicky, herby, sharp, spiced, tart
Type of Dishwarm salad
- 2 pounds new potatoes (red bliss, Yukon Gold, or purple Peruvian), scrubbed and quartered
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound medium-large asparagus, trimmed
- 2/3 cup Aïoli or Roasted Garlic Aïoli
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup chopped Marinated Sun-Dried Tomatoes or store-bought, packed in oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
Toss the potatoes in a large bowl with the garlic, enough oil to coat, and salt and pepper. Place on an oiled grill and cook, covered, over medium-hot heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork. Turn several times with a spatula to ensure even cooking. Remove and keep warm.
Brush the asparagus with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes, turning frequently, until lightly browned but still crisp. When done, cut on the diagonal into 3 or 4 pieces.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Gently toss with the warm potatoes and the asparagus. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
1993 Linda Zimmerman and Gerri Gilliland