Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
Teriyaki is a Japanese dish of food marinated in a soy sauce mixture. This recipe will appeal to those who prefer an alternative to the traditional red barbecue sauce for chicken. Marinate several hours to allow the chicken to absorb the flavors. Serve with rice.
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturegarlicky, meaty, salty, sweet, umami
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sherry or dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger, or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 chicken (3½ to 4 pounds), cut into serving pieces, excess skin and fat removed
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, cooked according to package directions (3 cups cooked)
- 6 green onions, including some tender green tops, sliced
In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sherry, oil, water, garlic, sugar, and ginger. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator, for 3 to 4 hours or up to overnight, turning several times. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
Preheat grill. Remove chicken from marinade. In a small saucepan, boil marinade for 1 minute. Grill chicken over medium heat, turning often and basting with marinade, until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. Serve with rice, sprinkled with green onions.
2005 Maryanna Vollstedt